Friday, August 7, 2009

One More Thing To Worry About

Old Lady Hair.

Not gray hair, not by itself anyway, but a condition I've called Old Lady Hair for years and dreaded and swore I would be vigilant against. Now it's here.

What? Of course I color my hair! Are you nuts? I went gray in my 30's, and I find myself in the job market more often than I would like. I do not want to look ready for the ash-heap so I color my hair. So sometimes I have roots. Not a huge problem where I can see it, but the condition I call Old Lady Hair ("OLH") is where your hair parts all on its own somewhere on the back of your head, either because of the hair's natural growth patterns or the way the wind is blowing. The hair parts in some weird place where you'd never on-purpose put a part and the gray roots are gloriously apparent, fanned out from the part, behind your back and you walk around completely innocent of the OLH going on behind you. It bespeaks Old, old, old. And sad. And now I am a victim.

I was feeling around for bald spots one day and found a place that felt, well, thin. I took a hand mirror to check it out and saw one of my worst nightmares back there. Why, Lord, why me????

No comments:

Post a Comment