Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Breaking a Bad Habit

This post concerns something that is not a function of old age and it is nobody's fault but my own.

Confession: for the past 5 years I've had a terrible habit of chewing my cuticles. So much so that there are times I have 4 or five fingertips bandaged. When the chewed parts are healing, they feel thick and tight from the dead skin or scarred skin, I dunno. I hate that feeling! So I chew off the dead skin. I get infections and it looks gross.

A prime time for chewing is the mornings while I read the paper. I am distracted by all the little bits creating roughness around my nails. Some of the fingertips have a touch of eczema. Lovely, right? And I was keeping "tools" beside me on the windowsill...

This is really disgusting and I don't blame you a bit for not reading on!

Anyway. The tools are a cuticle "trimmer," a pointy tweezer and a metal nail file. But I've decided to break this bad habit. The tools are now banished to the bathroom. And I found a great and inexpensive cuticle cream, a nice thick cream that moisturizes beautifully. When I feel the urge to chew, I rub it into my cuticles instead. They are healing nicely!

I am a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment